Recipe by MomaJean
This is the best sourdough starter that I have found to work and it came from my great grandmother and its the best for her and now I have it and thought that I would pass it along to others to enjoy too.
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package dry yeast, dissolved in
- 2 1⁄2 cups lukewarm water, divided use
- 2 teaspoons sugar, divided use
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 3 1⁄2 cups sifted flour, divided use
Directions See How It's Made
- Sprinkle yeast over 1/2 cup warm water; stir until dissolved. Place in large mixing bowl, and add 1 teaspoon of sugar, salt, 2 cups warm water 2 cups flour;mix well.
- Cover; let stand for 3 days, stirring daily. Add 1 cup warm water 1 1/2 cups flour and 1 teaspoon sugar to Starter after portion has been used. Cover; let stand at room temperature. Stir daily to keep starter active.