Prep 24 hrs
Cook 0 mins
When my grandma passed away a few years ago at the age of 98, I got some of her cookbooks and her recipe box. This was in there. Posted in reply to a request.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package active dry yeast or 1 (1/4 ounce) package cake yeast
- 1 1⁄2 cups tepid water
- In a large bowl or jar, mix the yeast with the water.
- If you are using active dry yeast, let the mixture stand for about 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle the flour onto the yeast mixture and whisk it in to form a thick batter.
- It is not essential for the batter to be smooth.
- Cover it with plastic wrap and let the batter stand in a warm (80-85°F) place for about 24 hours, or until it is frothy.
I use this recipe a great deal with my Whole Wheat Sour Dough bread recipe. It is simple and works every time without fail. Thank you for adding it to the recipezaar!
Very good! I added 1 T. of honey and 1 more cup of water. Worked very well...thank you.