1/6 Photos of Sourdough Rye Bread
3 hrs 30 mins
I love King Arthur Flours sourdough rye recipe, but it is for a bread machine, which I don't like. Mainly because of the shape of the finished loaf, so I mix and knead it in the bread machine, and after the first rise, I shape and bake in the oven.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons molasses
- 1 1/2 tablespoons honey
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 cup sourdough starter
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, unbleached
- 3/4 cup rye flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt or 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons caraway seeds
- 1 1/2 teaspoons instant yeast
- 4 teaspoons vital wheat gluten
- 1Put all ingredients in the bread machine in the order specified by your machine's manufacturer.
- 2Set on the dough setting. Let it do it's thing, checking after 10 minutes or so to see if you need to adjust the liquid or flour.
- 3Let rise, take out and form as desired.
- 4Let rise again, and heat your oven to 350.
- 5Slash and bake for 15 minutes, turn and bake another 15 minutes. Test for doneness. I use an instant read thermometer, and shoot for 195-200 degrees.
- 6Let cool completely, slice and enjoy!
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sourdough Rye Bread
Serving Size: 1 (583 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1791.5
- Calories from Fat 344
- Total Fat 38.3 g
- Saturated Fat 5.8 g
- Cholesterol 186.0 mg
- Sodium 3579.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 315.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 23.3 g
- Sugars 33.2 g
- Protein 48.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
vital wheat gluten