Recipe by pammyowl
I love King Arthur Flours sourdough rye recipe, but it is for a bread machine, which I don't like. Mainly because of the shape of the finished loaf, so I mix and knead it in the bread machine, and after the first rise, I shape and bake in the oven.
Top Review by gailanng
My starter smelled plenty sour on the 3rd day. On the 4th day I was feeling mighty sure of myself and made your recipe. My conclusion: Better than anything store-bought and everyone in the world should make this recipe. How do I make that happen??? If only I ruled the world... I miss you, my dear friend.
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons molasses
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons honey
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1 cup sourdough starter
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour, unbleached
- 3⁄4 cup rye flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt or 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons caraway seeds
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons instant yeast
- 4 teaspoons vital wheat gluten
Directions See How It's Made
- Put all ingredients in the bread machine in the order specified by your machine's manufacturer.
- Set on the dough setting. Let it do it's thing, checking after 10 minutes or so to see if you need to adjust the liquid or flour.
- Let rise, take out and form as desired.
- Let rise again, and heat your oven to 350.
- Slash and bake for 15 minutes, turn and bake another 15 minutes. Test for doneness. I use an instant read thermometer, and shoot for 195-200 degrees.
- Let cool completely, slice and enjoy!