1/1 Photo of Sourdough Pumpernickel Bread
48 hrs 30 mins
Galley Wench's Note:
Recipe comes from the Bread Baker's Apprentice by Peter Reinhart. I've written the recipe using my Kitchen-Aid however it can be converted to fit your method; bread machine dough cycle or by hand. Cooking time includes fermentation and rising times. The addition of bread crumbs (preferably from previous loaves) will give the bread a wonderful texture.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups unbleached bread flour
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/4 teaspoons instant yeast
- 3/4-1 cup breadcrumbs, preferably from rye bread (dry or fresh)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup water, room temperature
- semolina flour or coarse whole rye flour
- 1The day before making the bread:.
- 2Mix proofed starter, rye flour, and water in a bowl.
- 3This will make a wet, pasty barm (starter).
- 4Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and ferment at room temperature for 4 to 5 hours or until the the sponge becomes bubbly and foamy.
- 5Immediately put it in the refrigerator overnight.
- 6Bread baking day:.
- 7Remove the rye barm (starter) from the refrigerator one hour prior to making the dough.
- 8After chill is off the barm, stir together the flour, sugar, cocoa, salt and yeast in large mixing bowl.
- 9Add the rye barm, bread crumbs and oil and mix on low speed with paddle attachment until the ingredients form a ball.
- 10Add additional water if the dough ball does not pick up all the flour, or more flour if the dough seems too wet.
- 11With dough hook attachment mix on loaw speed for 4 to 5 minutes.
- 12Add more flour as needed to make a smooth pliable dough ball. It should be tacky but not sticky.
- 13Note: Rye bread will become gummy if you mix too long, so try to make all adjustments early and minimize the mixing and kneading process.
- 14Transfer dough to lightly oiled bowl, rolling it around to coat it with oil.
- 15Cover bowl with plastic wrap and ferment at room temperature for 2 hours or until doubled in size.
- 16Sprinkle small amount of flour on the counter and carefully transfer the dough to the counter (try not to degas the dough).
- 17Divide the dough in 2 equal pieces and shape them into boules or rectangle for sandwich bread.
- 18Line baking sheet with parchment (or use proofing basket) and sprinkle with cornmeal, smolina flour or coarse whole-rye flour.
- 19If making sandwich bread, lightly oil 8 1/2 by 4 1/2 inch bread pan(s).
- 20Transfer the dough to the pans, mist the dough with spray oil and loosely cover with plastic wrap or a towel.
- 21Proof at room temperature for approximately 90 minutes, or until the dough crests 1 inch above the lip of the bread pan at the center, or rises to 1 1/2 times it original size.
- 22For Freestanding Loaves:.
- 23Preheat the oven to 450°F, placing a baking stone on the middle shelf and a broiler pan or cast-iron skillet on lower shelf (to provide steam).
- 24Score the loaves to allow for expansion.
- 25Transfer the dough to the baking stone.
- 26Pour 1 cup hot water into the steam pan and quickly close the door.
- 27After 30 seconds open the door and spray the oven walls with water.
- 28Repeat twice more at 30 second intervals.
- 29After the final spray, lower the oven temperature to 400°F and continue to bake for another 20-30 minutes. Checking the breads and rotating 180 degrees, if necessary, for even baking.
- 30When done, the bread should register 200°F in the center and sound hollow when thumped on the bottom.
- 31For Loaf Pans:.
- 32Place pans on baking sheet and place in the oven (middle rack).
- 33Bake for 20 minutes, then rotate the sheet pan 180 degrees for even baking.
- 34Continue baking another 20 to 30 minutes, or until loaves register 185-195°F in the center and sound hollow when thumped on the bottom.
- 35Remove finished loaves from the pan and cool on a rack for at least 1 hour before slicing.
Browse Our Top Sourdough Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sourdough Pumpernickel Bread
Serving Size: 1 (791 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1067.8
- Calories from Fat 172
- Total Fat 19.1 g
- Saturated Fat 2.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 2054.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 192.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.2 g
- Sugars 16.4 g
- Protein 29.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: