1/2 Photos of Sourdough Pumpernickel
1 hr 5 mins
Red Apple Guy's Note:
A good bread that gets along well with cheeses and corned beef or pastrami. I started with a recipe from King Arthur Flour web site and made many changes over time. It now bears little resemblance to the original recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup sourdough starter (133 gm flour, 133 gm water)
- 1 1/3 cups black coffee (room temperature, 298 gm)
- 2 cups stone ground rye flour (261 gm)
- 1Using a proofed 100% hydrated starter, make the sponge in a large bowl.
- 2Cover and let sit on counter for 5 to 12 hours at room temperature. Longer times means a more sour bread.
- 3Add the dough ingredients to the sponge and mix well.
- 4Cover and rest for 20 minutes.
- 5Knead by hand for about 5 minutes adding water or flour to keep the dough tacky, not sticky (not actually coming off on your hands).
- 6Place in a bowl that has been sprayed with oil and cover to let rise. I have a spot that averages 80 F for this and it's ideal.
- 7Stretch and fold every 40 minutes and return to rising, covered.
- 8When 1.5 times it's original volume, (2 to 3 hours depending on temperature) divide and form 2 loaves (freeform or 8 x 4 pans). If freeform, use a rising baskedt or a floured, cloth covered colander.
- 9Rest for 1 hour 30 minutes at 80 F or until it increased in size by 1.5 times.
- 10Preheat oven and a pan on the bottom of the oven for water to generate steam. As loaves are placed in the oven, add 2/3 cup of hot water to the pan.
- 11I invert the loaves onto parchment, score and set on a baking stone, but a sheet pan can be used.
- 12Bake at 375 for about 50 minutes until 205 F internal temperature. I rotate the loaves midway through the baking.
- 13cool on racks.
Browse Our Top Sourdough Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sourdough Pumpernickel
Serving Size: 1 (40 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 28
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 82.2
- Calories from Fat 3
- Total Fat 0.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 168.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 1.8 g
- Protein 2.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: