1/1 Photo of Sourdough Pumpernickel
12 hrs 30 mins
Vaquero Tim's Note:
A very strong pumpernickel taste.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 118.29 ml strong brewed coffee
- 29.58 ml caraway seeds
- 473.18 ml rye flour
- 354.88 ml sourdough starter, mix
- 118.29 ml molasses
- 59.14 ml powdered milk
- 9.85 ml salt
- 44.37 ml vegetable shortening, melted
- 118.29 ml milk
- 650.62 ml bread flour or 650.62 ml all-purpose flour
- 7.08 g package active dry yeast or 12.32 ml active dry yeast, if starter is active you may not need this
- 11. In a bowl, pour boiling coffee over caraway seed. Cool and then add to 2 cups rye flour and sourdough starter mix; mix well. Let stand for 4 to 8 hours in a warm place.
- 22. To the caraway mixture add molasses, powdered milk, salt, melted shortening, milk, flour, and yeast; mix well. Cover the bowl and let dough rise until doubled.
- 33. Place dough on a floured surface and knead until dough is firm - one that will not flatten or spread. Shape dough into 2 round loaves; place on a baking sheet. Let rise until double again then bake at 350*F for 30 minutes, or until done.
- 4Makes 2 loaves.
Browse Our Top Sourdough Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sourdough Pumpernickel
Serving Size: 1 (1058 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1548.4
- Calories from Fat 272
- Total Fat 30.2 g
- Saturated Fat 10.1 g
- Cholesterol 24.0 mg
- Sodium 2455.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 284.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 20.1 g
- Sugars 54.5 g
- Protein 37.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: