Prep 5 mins
Cook 0 mins
This makes 2-9" pie crusts. Just another way to use your sourdough starter! Try it with any pie filling. If you like it a bit sweet add some sugar. Time doesn't include time to proof sourdough starter.
- 1 2⁄3 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2⁄3 cup shortening
- 1⁄2 cup sourdough starter, Proofed
- 2 tablespoons sugar (optional)
- Sift together flour, salt, baking soda and sugar(optional).
- Cut in shortening until it resembles course crumbs.
- Stir in starter, just until all ingredients are moistened.
- Add a few drops of water if too dry, a spoonful more of flour if too moist.
- Cover or wrap in plastic wrap and let stand 30 minutes.
- Roll out, use and bake as for any pie crust.
- To PROOF Sourdough starter:.
- Remove 1 Cup of starter into a large glass or ceramic bowl.
- Add to it 1 heaping cup of flour, 1 cup of warm water and 1t sugar.
- Mix well with wood or plastic spoon and allow to stand 12-24 hours before use. DO NOT use metal of any kind!
- Replace 1 cup back to original starter and store in refridgerator until next use. Measure out 1 cup of PROOFED sourdough starter for recipe. Discard any remaining or mix in with mother starter in refridgerator.