Prep 8 hrs
Cook 25 mins
I recently tried Bergy's sourdough starter (Sourdough Bread Starter, which is great, btw!) and have been looking for ways to use it. This recipe is from a cookbook of sourdough recipes I bought to help me out (recipe is adapted from Patricia Duncan). If you don't have your starter yet, plan on this several days in advance, so you have time to make the starter (which is very easy!). These pancakes are slightly thin, so if you want them thicker, add a little flour until you get the consistency you like. I like them thin myself.
- The night before, stir your sourdough starter and remove one cup.
- Place the 1 cup of starter in a glass or stoneware bowl at least 6 cups in size (don't use plastic or metal bowls for this- they give off flavors to the batter).
- Stir in the 2 cups of tepid water, the flour, and the sugar until smooth.
- Cover lightly (you can use plastic wrap but don't seal off the air going into the bowl) and place in a non-drafty place and allow to sit overnight.
- The next morning, remove one cup of the batter and pour it back into the mother starter (what you removed this from in the first place; you should keep this refrigerated).
- Start to heat your griddle (heat to 370F), oiling it lightly if needed.
- Stir the egg, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and melted butter into the batter.
- Drop by 1/4-cupfuls onto the hot griddle and flip them with a spatula when they bubble and get golden on the underside.
- Keep pancakes warm while finishing the others.
- Serve pancakes hot with butter and syrup, if desired.
- You can also easily make blueberry pancakes with this; just dust them with a little flour before folding into the pancake batter.
I made these at the lake with sourdough starter from home. I made a 4L pail full and there was 1 small pancake left. My dad ate 8 of them. Rating these higher then 5 if I could just for that. There wasnt enough really to feed the dog. Great recipe. Thanks a bunch.
My Bergy sourdough starter is two weeks old and I wanted pancakes. These were some of the tastiest, fluffiest pancakes I've ever made! Sometime I might have to try them with berries :D Thanks!
Great pancakes! I did not add the blueberries but would of loved to. We had boysenberry syrup and what a treat! Sour from the starter and sweet from the syrup! You've got to try this people, you won't regret it. I also added a bit more flour as I like my pancakes a bit thicker! Thank you!