1/13 Photos of Sourdough Onion Rye Bread
3 hrs 50 mins
Donna M.'s Note:
Great deli-style rye bread for sourdough lovers.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1To proof your starter, feed it with equal parts of flour and water, cover loosely and let it sit overnight or up to 12 hours (longer proof=sourer flavor).
- 2At this point, measure out your 2 cups of starter into mixing bowl and proceed with recipe.
- 3Saute onions in olive oil until they become translucent.
- 4Remove from heat and add butter, water and salt.
- 5Cool to lukewarm (85 degrees F) and stir into starter.
- 6Add the rye flour and mix well.
- 7Add the white flour gradually, until it is too stiff to mix by hand.
- 8Turn onto a floured surface and knead in enough remaining flour until dough is satiny.
- 9Shape into an elongate loaf.
- 10Place on baking sheet and let rise, covered, in a warm place for 1 to 2 hours, or until about doubled in bulk (rising time will vary according to your starter, but it takes longer than breads made with commercial yeast).
- 11Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- 12Make diagonal slashes in top of loaf with a razor blade or very sharp knife.
- 13Bake for 40 to 50 minutes.
- 14Remove from baking sheet and cool on wire rack.
- 15This bread could also be made using the dough cycle of your bread machine.
Browse Our Top Sourdough Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sourdough Onion Rye Bread
Serving Size: 1 (516 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1521.9
- Calories from Fat 368
- Total Fat 40.9 g
- Saturated Fat 17.0 g
- Cholesterol 61.0 mg
- Sodium 2540.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 256.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 28.8 g
- Sugars 5.9 g
- Protein 36.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: