Prep 4 hrs
Cook 30 mins
I created this combination and was very pleased with the results.
- 1 1⁄4 cups proofed sourdough starter
- 1 cup milk
- 4 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 3 1⁄2 cups bread flour
- 1⁄3 cup oatmeal
- 1⁄4 cup potato flakes
- Place ingredients in bread machine pan in the order that they are listed.
- Select dough cycle and press start.
- Turn dough out on lightly floured surface and shape into desired loaf.
- Place in greased loaf pan and let rise, covered, until 1 to 2 inches above edges of pan.
- Be patient, this can take several hours, depending upon how active your sourdough culture is.
- Uncover and bake at 350 degrees F for about 30 minutes, or until done.
- Immediately turn out of pan and cool on wire rack.
- Brush top crust with butter for a soft crust, if desired.
- NOTE: You can use part whole wheat flour (up to 1 1/2 cups) in place of all white flour.
- I recently made this and used only 1/2 cup of whole wheat flour.
- It made a very nice, light wheat bread.
Wonderrful loaf. I used the dough cycle on my bread machine & formed the loaf to bake in a pan in the oven. It was half gone before it was even cool enough to cut properly. I may add some chopped toasted hazelnuts or pecans next time I make it. Thanks Donna!
Thanks so much Donna for a great recipe. Made four mini loaves last week . . . that way I can fit a couple in my little freezer for later use!
This was very good bread, I doubled the recipe and it worked fine. It was pretty cold in my house the day I made it so it took about 5 hrs. to rise but it was well worth the wait. Thanks for this recipe, Dan