Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
These are not the cake like muffins. They are hearty, moist muffins that will stick with you throughout the morning. A bowl of cranberry oats in a muffin. Top these off with orange marmelade for a great breakfast treat. Please note: When baking with sourdough please remember that you may need to do some adjustments with the amount of flour used.
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour (I use 1/2 white flour and 1/2 whole wheat pastry flour.)
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1⁄4 cup Splenda brown sugar blend, or
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 2 teaspoons orange extract or 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup sourdough starter, freshly fed
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1⁄2 cup dried cranberries
- In a blender container or food processor bowl, mix together the flours, brown sugar, oats, salt, baking soda and cinnamon.
- In large mixing bowl, whisk together the egg, yogurt, oil and extract; stir in the sourdough starter.
- Add the flour mixture to the egg mixture; stirring just to moisten ingredients.
- Mix in the orange zest and dried cranberries; the batter will be a thick muffin batter.
- Spray muffin tins with cooking spray and fill about 2/3 full; allow dough to rest while oven preheats.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and when heated, bake muffins for 30 to 35 minutes.
These are FANTASTIC! A dense and hearty muffin that's not too sweet - my favorite. I used Paula's Foolproof Sourdough Starter and all purpose flour, brown sugar, orange extract and dried cherries instead of cranberries. Quick and easy to put together and smell great baking in the oven. Taste great hot or not :) Thanks Paula!
Good! As Paula describes, these are hearty healthy muffins, not cupcakes masquerading as muffins. Yummy as is or served with honey and/or butter. This recipe would also be a nice base for other muffin flavors. A good use for the sourdough starter, and one that I'll make again. Thanks for sharing the recipe!