These are not the cake like muffins. They are hearty, moist muffins that will stick with you throughout the morning. A bowl of cranberry oats in a muffin. Top these off with orange marmelade for a great breakfast treat. Please note: When baking with sourdough please remember that you may need to do some adjustments with the amount of flour used.
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour (I use 1/2 white flour and 1/2 whole wheat pastry flour.)
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1⁄4 cup Splenda brown sugar blend, or
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 2 teaspoons orange extract or 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup sourdough starter, freshly fed
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1⁄2 cup dried cranberries
- In a blender container or food processor bowl, mix together the flours, brown sugar, oats, salt, baking soda and cinnamon.
- In large mixing bowl, whisk together the egg, yogurt, oil and extract; stir in the sourdough starter.
- Add the flour mixture to the egg mixture; stirring just to moisten ingredients.
- Mix in the orange zest and dried cranberries; the batter will be a thick muffin batter.
- Spray muffin tins with cooking spray and fill about 2/3 full; allow dough to rest while oven preheats.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and when heated, bake muffins for 30 to 35 minutes.