Prep 2 hrs
Cook 45 mins
No kneading is required for this bread. Beat either by hand or with an electric mixer.
- 2 cups proofed sourdough starter
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup chopped nuts
- 3 cups bread flour
- Measure the starter into a large mixing bowl.
- Melt butter; add milk and warm to 85 degrees F.
- Add the salt and sugar and stir until dissolved.
- Add this mixture to the starter and mix well.
- Stir in nuts, raisins, and spices.
- Add the flour, 1 cup at a time, mixing vigorously for 1 minute or so between cups.
- Grease a 4 1/2 x 8 1/2-inch loaf pan and spoon batter into pan.
- Proof, covered, at 85 degrees F for 1 to 2 hours, or until dough rises 1/2 inch above the edge of the pan.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Bake for about 45 minutes.
- Remove loaf from pan and cool on wire rack.
I needed to use up some sourdough starter, so I thought I would give this a try. It rose beautifully, but I was not fond of the taste. I like a sweeter raisin bread, I may try to make again, adding a lot more cinnamon and sugar. Will update when I do.
this was the first fruit sourdough bread i have made made and i think it was excellent every one that had some thought it was bril i liked the nuts it gave it a nice crunch wil certainly make it again what was great is it's all sourdough and no commercial yeast in site good flavour
This was great. I was not paying attention and actually added the ingredients in a slightly different order- putting the milk with the starter, but it turned out great. Fantastic whole wheat morning bread