Prep 2 hrs
Cook 45 mins
No kneading is required for this bread. Beat either by hand or with an electric mixer.
Make and share this Sourdough Nut Batter Bread recipe from Food.com.
- 2 cups proofed sourdough starter
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup chopped nuts
- 3 cups bread flour
- Measure the starter into a large mixing bowl.
- Melt butter; add milk and warm to 85 degrees F.
- Add the salt and sugar and stir until dissolved.
- Add this mixture to the starter and mix well.
- Stir in nuts, raisins, and spices.
- Add the flour, 1 cup at a time, mixing vigorously for 1 minute or so between cups.
- Grease a 4 1/2 x 8 1/2-inch loaf pan and spoon batter into pan.
- Proof, covered, at 85 degrees F for 1 to 2 hours, or until dough rises 1/2 inch above the edge of the pan.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Bake for about 45 minutes.
- Remove loaf from pan and cool on wire rack.
I needed to use up some sourdough starter, so I thought I would give this a try. It rose beautifully, but I was not fond of the taste. I like a sweeter raisin bread, I may try to make again, adding a lot more cinnamon and sugar. Will update when I do.
this was the first fruit sourdough bread i have made made and i think it was excellent every one that had some thought it was bril i liked the nuts it gave it a nice crunch wil certainly make it again what was great is it's all sourdough and no commercial yeast in site good flavour
This was great. I was not paying attention and actually added the ingredients in a slightly different order- putting the milk with the starter, but it turned out great. Fantastic whole wheat morning bread