Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
I love bread, and I thought this recipe sounded really tasty. From "The Florida Keys Cookbook".
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- With a sharp bread knife, cut bread in a grid-like (cross-hatch) pattern, taking care NOT to cut through the bottom crust.
- Insert cheese slices between each deep cut (about 2 dozen slices).
- Place melted butter, scallions, and poppy seeds in a small bowl. Stir to mix well. Make a blanket of aluminum foil large enough to totally encompass the bread. Place bread in the center of the foil. Drizzle butter mixture over bread and cheese.
- Wrap foil tightly around bread and place it on a baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes; open foil and bake 10 minutes more, until cheese is melted.
- To serve, place unwrapped bread in a napkin-lined bread basket. Guests serve themselves by ripping pieces of cheese bread from the loaf.
- SUBSTITUTE: You can substitute a flavored artisan bread for the sour dough.
Delicious, I did not use sour dough bread, just a regular artasian round loaf that I made from scratch, I may reduce the poppy seeds next time and add in some fresh minced garlic to the butter/seed mixture, thanks for sharing FloridaNative!