Prep 2 mins
Cook 35 mins
Adopted in the Great RecipeZaar Adoption of 2005. Hope to make and update soon.
Make and share this Sourdough Honey Whole Wheat Bread recipe from Food.com.
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup sourdough starter
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons shortening
- 4 cups whole wheat flour
- Dissolve yeast in 1 cup warm water.
- Mix yeast, starter, honey, salt and shortening with 3 cups flour.
- Add more flour as needed to make a stiff dough.
- Knead 150 strokes on a floured surface and place in a greased bowl.
- Cover and let rise 1 to 1 1/2 hours until doubled in size.
- Punch down, let double again.
- Punch down and roll into tight loaf.
- Grease and place in bread pan.
- Let double in pan and bake at 400 degrees F. for 35 to 40 minutes or until very dark golden brown, and it sounds hollow when thumped.
I don't know where the 4 servings comes from. This makes 1 well rounded loaf of bread. It has a nice texture and slices well. The honey flavor comes through very nice. I used melted butter instead of the shortening and round off the starter to 1 full cup. Definately a keeper.
Produced a perfectly sculpted boule. I can't see anything else this recipe needs except to serve with a side of...something.
This is a wonderful, tasty bread that can be done in the bread machine. I substituted the shortening with olive oil also. It turns out great! Makes a large loaf in my machine, close to 2 lb. Thanks Marg!