1/1 Photo of Sourdough Hamburger Buns
These are simply delicious and although you have to plan ahead (feed the starter the night before), they are easy to make. The dough is very easy to work with. Most of the cook time is in the rising time. It is made for the bread machine's dough cycle. I did not include the time it takes for rising. Hope you enjoy.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a medium bowl, using an electric mixer such as Kitchen Aid, combine 2 cups sourdough starter with 1 cup flour and 1/2 cup whole wheat flour.
- 2Mix on low speed until well blended, about 2-3 minutes.
- 3Cover slightly with plastic wrap and let sit on the counter for 2 hours.
- 4When dough has sat for 2 hours, add to the bread machine pan the milk, 2 tablespoons of melted butter, egg, salt and sugar.
- 5Add the sourdough mixture (I just dumped it in from the bowl).
- 6Add the 1 3/4 cup flour and gently smooth out evenly with your hand.
- 7Turn on the dough cycle.
- 8For the first 5 minutes check dough and add additional water or flour, which ever is needed.
- 9When dough cycle is completed turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and form into a ball.
- 10Using a roller, flatten the dough to a large oval 1/2 inch thick.
- 11Cut dough into 4 inch rounds using a sharp cutter.
- 12Transfer rounds to a greased baking dish.
- 13Gather up excess dough and repeat until all dough is used.
- 14Brush tops with 1 tablespoon melted butter, cover and let rise.
- 15NOTE: The buns will rise some more once placed in the oven.
- 16For quick rise starters 1-1 1/2 hours.
- 17For slow rise starters 2 to 2 1/2 hours.
- 18Bake for 15-18 minutes in 350 F oven or until golden brown.
- 19Cool slightly then slice with bread knife before serving. (For best results I think, place on the grill cut side down for 15-20 seconds before applying your burger).
- 20NOTE: All starters are different so the amount of flour, water and rise time may be different. For this recipe I used Donna M's SF Starter.
Browse Our Top Sourdough Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sourdough Hamburger Buns
Serving Size: 1 (589 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 246.0
- Calories from Fat 52
- Total Fat 5.8 g
- Saturated Fat 3.2 g
- Cholesterol 35.7 mg
- Sodium 269.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 3.3 g
- Protein 6.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: