1/15 Photos of Sourdough French Bread
15 hrs 50 mins
Donna M.'s Note:
You can produce an authentic French loaf in your own kitchen. This really works! Adapted for the bread machine from a recipe found in "World Sourdoughs From Antiquity", by Ed Wood. Prep time includes proofing time for sourdough starter.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Put ingredients, in order listed, into bread machine pan.
- 2Set machine for dough cycle and start.
- 3At end of dough cycle, turn dough out onto a floured surface.
- 4If dough is too sticky, knead in a little additional flour.
- 5Divide dough into 2 equal portions and flatten each into a 1 1/2 inch thick oval.
- 6Fold oval in half once lengthwise and pinch seam to make an elongate loaf.
- 7Sprinkle cornmeal on a baking sheet and place the loaves on the sheet seam side down.
- 8Cover and let rise in a warm place (85 degrees F) until about doubled in bulk.
- 9Place a shallow pan of hot water on the lower shelf of the oven and preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- 10Make shallow slashes in tops of loaves with a razor blade or finely serrated knife, held at a 30 degree angle.
- 11Place the loaves in the oven and immediately spray them and the oven walls with water from a fine mister, and avoid spraying oven light.
- 12Repeat this spraying 3 additional times at one minute intervals.
- 13Continue baking for 30 to 40 minutes or until brown, but remove pan of water from oven after the first 15 minutes.
- 14Remove loaves from baking sheet and cool on wire racks.
- 15*To proof sourdough culture, start with 1/2 cup of culture and stir into it 1 1/2 cups warm water and 1 1/2 cups flour.
- 16Cover with plastic and let sit 8 to 12 hours (the longer it sits, the more 'sour' your bread will taste).
- 17At this point, measure out the 2 cups required and proceed with recipe; returning any extra to the starter pot to save in the refrigerator until you want to use it again.
Browse Our Top Sourdough Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sourdough French Bread
Serving Size: 1 (639 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 937.0
- Calories from Fat 24
- Total Fat 2.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1172.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 196.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.3 g
- Sugars 0.7 g
- Protein 26.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: