There is nothing like fresh bread and this is my version of my all time favorite.
Make and share this Sourdough French Bread recipe from Food.com.
- In a Kitchen Aide mixing bowl dissolve yeast in warm water and let sit for 5-8 minutes.
- Add sourdough starter, olive oil, salt, garlic powder and cheese.
- With the paddle of the mixer, mix until well combined.
- Change to the dough hook.
- Add 4 cups of flour and knead for 7-8 minutes. (Add additional flour as needed).
- Coat a large bowl with olive oil.
- Turn the dough into the bowl and turn to coat.
- Cover and let sit until doubled in size (about an hour).
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface.
- Cut dough in half and roll out into an oval shape about 9X12.
- Beginning at the bottom edge, roll up and pinch seam
- Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray and sprinkle with cornmeal.
- Place the loaves on the sheet, seam side down.
- Make shallow slashes on top of the loaves with a sharp knif or razor blade.
- Cover and let rise until about double (about 30-40 minutes).
- Heat oven to 375.
- Place bread in the oven and spray the sides of the oven and the bread with water.
- Repeat this every 5 minutes for the first 15 minutes.
- Continue baking for another 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove and cool on wire racks.