1/2 Photos of Sourdough Flax Seed Bread
4 hrs 20 mins
Galley Wench's Note:
This is a hearty, and heart smart bread because Flax seeds contain omega-3 fatty acids, which help elevate your good cholesterol. This is a modified recipe from Dr. Ed Wood's second book, "Classic Sourdoughs : A Home Baker's Handbook". Dr. Wood is also the author of the treasured "World Sourdoughs from Antiquity". Even thought I'd love it, I've made the seeds optional as my DH doesn't care for 'seedy' breads.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1(Optional) Put the sunflower seeds, flax seeds, and poppy seeds in a hot, clean, dry skillet and stir them. Let them roast, with frequent stirrings, until they become fragrant. Be careful to make sure they don't scorch! Toasting the seeds makes them - and the bread - much more tasty. You may also roast the seeds in a 375F oven for 5 to 10 minutes.
- 2Mix the active starter, water, oil and honey together. (I use my Kitchen Aid with the dough hook for this process.).
- 3Add the (optional) seeds.
- 4Stir in the flax meal.
- 5Add the salt and then stir in the flour one cup at a time until the dough is too thick to stir.
- 6Pour the dough onto a floured work surface (or turn up the speed on your Kitchen Aid) and knead until the dough is resilient. The dough is a rather sticky dough; it's important not to over-flour the dough.
- 7Once the dough is well kneaded, turn it out into an oiled bowl, turn and cover.
- 8Let it rise until doubled.
- 9Deflate the dough, knead briefly, cut and shape into rough loaves.
- 10Let the dough sit, covered, for 30 minutes, then shape into final loaves.
- 11Let rise, covered, until doubled.
- 12Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- 13Bake 30 to 45 minutes.
- 15Flax seeds are easily found in health food stores. The oils in them can become rancid, so either buy just what you need, or store the seeds in the refrigerator or freezer.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sourdough Flax Seed Bread
Serving Size: 1 (52 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 181.0
- Calories from Fat 39
- Total Fat 4.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 220.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 3.3 g
- Protein 4.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: