1/8 Photos of Sourdough English Muffins
16 hrs 30 mins
Nothing beats homemade muffins fresh off the griddle. These are light and airy. The recipe calls for 1 package dry yeast, depending on how active your sourdough is you may choose to eliminate it. As all sourdough is somewhat different experiment and see what works best for you. I use an Alaskan sourdough recipe. For mixing the dough I used my Kitchenaid Mixer and dough hook. This recipe comes from Best of the Best from Alaska Cookbook and I have made minor adjustments for personal taste.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1The night before, feed sourdough starter as you normally do.
- 2The next morning take out 1/2 cup starter for use in the muffins.
- 3Sprinkle yeast and sugar over 1/4 cup warm water.
- 4Allow yeast to become bubbly.
- 5Heat milk to lukewarm, add remaining 1 cup water, sourdough starter, baking soda, salt and yeast to large mixing bowl.
- 6Add half the flour and beat well with electric mixer or a wooden spoon.
- 7Cover bowl and let rise to double in bulk, this depends on the weather but takes approximately 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- 8Add melted butter and remaining flour beating and kneading thoroughly.
- 9Cover and again allow to rise until double, approximately 45 minutes.
- 10Turn dough out on board dusted slightly with flour and either corn meal, oat bran or wheat germ.
- 11Flatten with rolling pin to 3/4-inch thickness.
- 12Cut with a 2-1/2 inch diameter cutter, place on cookie sheets that have been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.
- 13Allow muffins to rest and rise for about 15 minutes or until light.
- 14Spray griddle or heavy skillet with non-stick cooking spray and preheat until water sizzles when dropped on griddle.
- 15Cook the muffins on preheated griddle for approximately 15 minutes, turning several times.
- 16When ready to serve, split in half with fork, toast lightly and top with favorite toppings.
- 17Note: The preparation time includes feeding the starter overnight.
Browse Our Top Sourdough Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sourdough English Muffins
Serving Size: 1 (979 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 124.6
- Calories from Fat 22
- Total Fat 2.4 g
- Saturated Fat 1.4 g
- Cholesterol 6.0 mg
- Sodium 168.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 0.3 g
- Protein 3.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: