1/10 Photos of Sourdough English Muffins
12 hrs 30 mins
Galley Wench's Note:
Found this recipe on the internet, unfortunately I can't remember where. These take some advance planning, however they are delicious and easy to make! I've made them in my little galley on the sailboat. To ensure that muffins are done inside, be sure to bake them on a very low heat. If using english muffin rings a cookie sheet can be placed over the top after turning them once.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
The Night Before
- 236.59 ml proofed sourdough starter
- 29.58 ml honey
- 473.18 ml milk, from reconstituted powdered milk (or regular milk)
- 946.36 ml unbleached white flour
The Next Morning
- 1Night Before:.
- 2Mix starter, honey and milk in mixing bowl until smooth.
- 3Add 4 cups flour, mixing in 2 cups at a time.
- 4Mix only until the flour is thoroughly wet.
- 5Cover with clean towel and leave at room temperature in a draft free place for 12-16 hours.
- 6Next Morning:.
- 7Stir down mixture.
- 8Sprinkle a scant teaspoon baking soda and 2 teaspoons salt over the surface of the dough and work into dough.
- 9Flour board with 1 cup flour and knead until dough is medium stiff - adding more flour as needed. The dough should be moist but not sticking to your hands.
- 10Once enough flour has been added, knead an additional 5 minutes until the dough forms a smooth ball.
- 11Roll dough on floured board to about 1/2 inch thick.
- 12Cut the dough with a 3-4 inch round cutter -- keeping them uniform in thickness and diameter.
- 13Place them on wax paper sprinkled with corn meal, taking care that they do not touch.
- 14Sprinkle corn meal over tops of muffins.
- 15Allow to rise in warm place, covered, for about an hour or until risen again.
- 16Preheat a griddle or frying pan with small amount of butter (add a little olive oil to keep from smoking). If using muffin rings, preheat them on the grill.
- 17Using a low flame or heat setting, bake one side for 4-5 minutes and turn. Place lid over the muffins to help them cook all the way through. Turn only once so be sure the one side is cooked before turning.
- 18Squish down a bit with spatula and pan bake other side for another 4-5 minutes.
- 19Look like store bought . . . taste even better!
Browse Our Top Sourdough Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sourdough English Muffins
Serving Size: 1 (1202 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 156.9
- Calories from Fat 12
- Total Fat 1.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 3.8 mg
- Sodium 342.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 2.0 g
- Protein 4.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: