Prep 15 mins
Cook 24 hrs
Absolutely decadent dessert waffles! They're so light and crispy it's hard to believe they are made with sourdough and whole wheat flour. Can be made in a Belgian or traditional waffle iron. Great use of extra sourdough starter! Recipe from King Arthur flour. Time indicated includes proofing time!
- 236.59 ml proofed sourdough starter (8 oz.)
- 295.73 ml water, cool (10 oz.)
- 354.88 ml whole wheat flour, 100% (6 oz.)
- 118.29 ml cocoa, Dutch preferred (1 1/2 oz.)
- 118.29 ml instant malted milk powder (2 1/4 oz.)
- 1 teasoon baking powder
- 3.69 ml salt
- 2.46 ml cinnamon
- 177.44 ml sugar (5 1/4 oz.)
- 2 large eggs
- 88.74 ml butter, unsalted, melted (cool slightly)
- 9.85 ml vanilla (or substitute Kahlua)
- 177.44 ml chocolate chips, semi sweet (4 1/2 oz.)
- ice cream
- whipped cream
- chocolate syrup
- Night Before:.
- Proof your starter by adding one cup of flour and one cup of water to 1/4 cup of starter.
- Next Morning (Prepare sponge 6-8 hours in advance):.
- Pour 1 cup proofed starter into a medium size mixing bowl.
- Stir in the water and whole wheat flour and mix until thoroughly combined.
- Cover bowl and set aside for 6 - 8 hours.
- To Make Batter:.
- Whisk together the dry ingredients, sifting if necessary to remove all lumps.
- To the sourdough sponge, stir in the eggs, flour mixture, melted butter, vanilla and chocolate chips.
- Mix thoroughly.
- To Bake Waffles:.
- Pour about 1/2 cup of batter into greased, preheated waffle iron.
- Bake until the steam stops coming out of the sides of the iron.
- The waffles will be soft and tender when removing from the iron, however they will crisp up as they cool.
- To Serve:.
- Top with ice cream, fruit and sauce and whipped cream.
What a decadent breakfast this made - DH couldn't believe I'd do something like this. I had saved this recipe a long time ago while I tried to find the ingrediants (malt being the culprit) but finally did. Once you have the starter active it all went together really easy and the taste is to die for. Not something we can do often but what a wonderful treat for those special occassions. I know my DGSs are going to love this. Thanks GW for another winning recipe.