Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
This recipe makes for a dense, hearty crusty baguette with a gooey cheese filling. I came up with it myself and found it quite yummy. It doesnt use yeast, so it doesnt rise much, but we enjoyed it that way. I hope you do, too! :) Please note: Dry sourdough is used in this recipe, but zaar wont recognise that, so I had to put down starter. Please contact me if you have questions about this.
- 200 g whole wheat flour (I used whole spelt flour)
- 125 g flour (I used spelt flour)
- 7 1⁄2 g sourdough starter (dry sourdough powder, not liquid sourdough!)
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons oats
- 1 teaspoon honey (heaping)
- 190 ml warm water
- 100 g cheese, cubed (or grated, use a mix of aromatic cheeses)
- Mix all dry ingredients (flours, sourdough, baking powder, seeds, salt and oats) in a big bowl. Add honey and enough water to knead everything into a smooth dough. Depending on your climate you might need more or less water.
- On a lightly floured surface knead in the cheese cubes or grated cheese until well incorporated (this will take a few minutes).
- Shape dough into a baguette loaf and place on a paper-lined baking sheet.
- Bake in the preheated oven at 200°C/400°F for about 25 minutes or until tester inserted in the middle comes out clean. You might need to cover it after 20 minutes to prevent overbrowning.
- Note: If you place an oven-proof bowl filled with water in the oven while baking the bread, the crust will get extra crunchy.