Prep 8 hrs
Cook 30 mins
A wonderful savory bread pudding!
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 10 slices sourdough bread, cubed
- 6 ounces cheddar cheese, grated
- 6 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 cups milk
- 3 egg yolks
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 dashes Worcestershire sauce
- 3 egg whites
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt butter, add diced slices of bread, stirring until coated.
- Add grated Cheddar cheese; stir well.
- Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, with a wire whisk combine milk, egg yolks, salt, dry mustard, worsteshire sauce and cayenne pepper.
- Beat well.
- Pour over the bread cubes.
- In another bowl beat egg whites until stiff, but not dry, fold into bread mixture, toss until mixed.
- Spoon into a lightly greased 9-inch square baking dish.
- Cover and chill overnight.
- Bake, uncovered at 325 for 30 minutes, or until the center is set.
- Serves 6.
This was so incredibly yummy. A local bread shop makes a garlic cheddar sourdough loaf and it was perfect in this recipe. Will for sure make this again.
We both loved this-I think the sourdough bread really makes the difference! I made a half-recipe using one egg and sliced sharp Cheddar cut up into squares. When I added the cheese to the hot bread cubes I had to work fast as it started melting and sticking right away, but it made nice "crunchy cheese" to scrape into the baking dish with the rest of the ingredients. And, it's nice to have a recipe using an equal amount of egg yolks and whites... ;o) I served it with BBQ chicken breast, very tasty! Thanks yooper!