Prep 15 mins
Cook 55 mins
Sourdough is believed to have originated in Ancient Egyptian times around 1500 BC, and was likely the first form of leavening available to bakers. Comes from a November 1978 Better Homes and Garden magazine. I haven't made this in years but it is delicious!
- 473.18 ml all-purpose flour
- 473.18 ml sugar
- 4.92 ml salt
- 4.92 ml baking powder
- 4.92 ml baking soda
- 4.92 ml ground cinnamon
- 473.18 ml finely shredded carrots
- 236.59 ml oil
- 236.59 ml sourdough starter
- 4 eggs
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 85.04 g cream cheese (softened)
- 59.14 ml butter (softened)
- 473.18 ml confectioners' sugar (10X)
- 4.92 ml vanilla
- 118.29 ml chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 325 degree f.
- In mixing bowl stir together four, sugar, salt, baking powder, soda and cinnamon.
- Add carrots, oil, sourdough starter and eggs.
- Mix until moistened.
- Beat at medium speed of electric mixer for two minutes.
- Pour into a greased and floured (I use PAM).
- 13x9 baking pan.
- Bake in 325 degree oven for 55 minutes.
- Cool thoroughly.
- Spread with Cream Cheese Frosting and sprinkle with chopped walnuts.
- Cream Cheese Frosting:.
- In small bowl beat together cream cheese and butter.
- Slowly beat in powdered sugar.
- Beat until smooth.
- Add 1 teaspoon vanilla.
Super delicious straight from the oven!!! I will be frosting it later after it cools, but half the cake has been eaten already because the family loved it so much. I'm definitely saving this recipe! It's a winner!
GW, you can always be relied on to post great recipes and no change with this one. It was so good, when I went to my larder I found I just had 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon left but it wasn't noticed in the finnished cake. The picture only shows just half the cake as my work mates will get the other half, so it's boxed up ready to go. I just know they will love it too. Thank's for posting another great sourdough recipe I am gradually working my way through the list.
Made this today, I made some slight changes, substituted sugar for 1 cup of brown sugar and 1/2 cup organic honey. I also added some raisins and topped with pumpkin seeds before baking. Very moist and very delicious a bonus to use my sourdough in this recipe to. Will def make this again :))