Prep 1 hr
Cook 4 hrs
Fantastic sourdough buns for sandwiches! I posted this recipe in the forums and Akillian made them and posted her picture. Don't they look awesome?
- Stir together all ingredients except flour.
- Add flour, mixing until it comes together enough to be turned out and kneaded.
- Knead until dough is smooth and satiny (this can be done on a mixer or bread machine, if preferred).
- At this point dough may be refrigerated up to 24 hours for a more flavorful bread. Bring dough back to room temperature before contiuing with shaping.
- Let dough rest for 15 or 20 minutes and then roll it out to 1/2" thick.
- Cut with a 4" round cutter.
- Cover and let rise until doubled in bulk.
- Bake at 350°F for 15 to 18 minutes.
- Cool on wire rack.
These were the first buns I've ever made, and the first thing I made with my new starter. First, I had to add quite a bit more flour (about half a cup or so) as the dough was very sticky. My starter wasn't really thin, so guess I'd cut back on the starter next time or thicken my starter before using it again. Kneading was easy and the dough formed a nice, smooth mass quickly. I wasn't sure how long I was supposed to knead it, so I quit after the dough became smooth and satiny, as in the instructions. I was having fun though. :) The taste is good; the smell even more wonderful! However, the bun is more dense than I'd like. I used 50/50 all-purpose and wheat flours, so maybe that's why they came out denser (although fluffy inside) than I'd hoped. Still, they would make a nice sandwich/hamburger bun. I didn't spray the baking sheet, but the buns pried loose just fine with a spatula after they had cooled a bit. Think I would spray the sheet next time. Cut at 4" round, the buns are a bit too big for us, so next time, I'd also cut out the buns smaller, maybe 3". I'm going to try a few hot dog buns next time, too, and maybe a sub-type bun. With the added flour, I got 8 large buns and one mini loaf (about 2"x4").
Fabulous recipe!! The rolls were a hit with my family. Rolled out the scraps, spread with melted butter, sugar, and cinammon, rolled up, sliced, let rise and baked!! YUMMY Cinnamon Rolls!!!
I've been looking for a good recipe to make sourdough hot dog buns to go with our home made brats. I just shaped them like hot bog buns instead of burger buns. These are so awesome! I ate one right out of the oven. Perfection! Soft and fluffy even being 1/2 whole wheat!