For years my mom (Cathie) made this for breakfast every Christmas. Mom stopped making it when I moved to another state because my sister didn't like the sausage in it. Now I continue the tradition and make it at home every Christmas morning. This is a satisfying whole meal in one that you can prepare the night before and bake in the morning. Of course, the ingredients can be changed around to suit your taste. Bacon for sausage, sour dough bread for french bread or croissants, thyme for parsley or sage, etc. No meat, extra meat and so on. It is easy and so delicious and great for a crowd for breakfast.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 large sourdough bread (fresh loaf, approx 8-10 cups cubed)
- 12 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons dried thyme or 2 tablespoons oregano
- 1 lb breakfast sausage, fried and crumbled drained and cooled
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese or 1 cup havarti cheese or 1 cup swiss cheese
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- butter, to grease pan
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1Butter a large deep casserole dish.
- 2Cube or shred by hand a loaf of sour dough bread.
- 3Fry sausage until cooked crumbled into chunks drain and cool.
- 4Wisk eggs, spice, milk, salt, pepper together.
- 5Place a single layer of bread cubes in pan bottom.
- 6Sprinkle 1/2 of each cheese on top of bread.
- 7Sprinkle 1/2 of sausage on top of cheese and bread.
- 8Layer rest of bread and cheese and sausage as before.
- 9Pour egg mixture over bread layers.
- 10Dot top of casserole with butter cubes.
- 11Refrigerate overnight or 4 hours minimum covered in foil.
- 12Preheat oven 350 degrees and bake uncovered 35-45 minutes.
- 13Allow to rest 5 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sourdough Bread Egg and Sausage Casserole (Cathie's Casserole)
Serving Size: 1 (272 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 684.1
- Calories from Fat 468
- Total Fat 52.1 g
- Saturated Fat 23.2 g
- Cholesterol 496.7 mg
- Sodium 1479.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 1.0 g
- Protein 39.6 g