1/3 Photos of Sourdough bread and starter
1 hr 10 mins
Janice Boice's Note:
This came from my Mom and it is a very good tasting bread. The waiting time is much longer than the preparation time, but it is worth waiting for.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 package dry yeast (1/4 ounce)
- 118.29 ml warm water
- 177.44 ml sugar
- 44.37 ml instant mashed potatoes (uncooked)
- 236.59 ml warm water
- 1Mixing directions To make starter, follow these steps;*Mix yeast and warm water and check to see if it is working.
- 2(Fizzing, bubbling), add remaining ingredients.
- 3Let set out all day.
- 4Then feed and set in refrigerator for 3 to 5 days.
- 5To feed the starter, add sugar, instant potatoes and warm water in the same amount you used to make the starter.
- 6To make the bread follow these steps; Mix with 1 cup of the starter, knead about twenty strokes, place in bowl, lightly coat top with oil, let set overnight till doubled in size.
- 7Knead and divide in two pieces, knead again, put in greased pans, coat top with butter or oil.
- 8Let rise till doubled in size.
- 9Bake 350 for 40 minutes or until done.
- 10To make more, feed the remaining starter like you did the first time.
- 11Repeat the feeding every time you make the bread.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sourdough bread and starter
Serving Size: 1 (1781 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2217.4
- Calories from Fat 526
- Total Fat 58.4 g
- Saturated Fat 7.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 3514.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 379.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.4 g
- Sugars 88.6 g
- Protein 40.6 g