Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
This came from my Mom and it is a very good tasting bread. The waiting time is much longer than the preparation time, but it is worth waiting for.
- Mixing directions To make starter, follow these steps;*Mix yeast and warm water and check to see if it is working.
- (Fizzing, bubbling), add remaining ingredients.
- Let set out all day.
- Then feed and set in refrigerator for 3 to 5 days.
- To feed the starter, add sugar, instant potatoes and warm water in the same amount you used to make the starter.
- To make the bread follow these steps; Mix with 1 cup of the starter, knead about twenty strokes, place in bowl, lightly coat top with oil, let set overnight till doubled in size.
- Knead and divide in two pieces, knead again, put in greased pans, coat top with butter or oil.
- Let rise till doubled in size.
- Bake 350 for 40 minutes or until done.
- To make more, feed the remaining starter like you did the first time.
- Repeat the feeding every time you make the bread.
After completely killing my previous starter, I found this recipe and decided to give it a try. I made the starter and fed it 3-4 times before attempting to make bread with it. I have now made bread twice using this starter and it's absolutely delicious. My family is so glad I've been able to bake sourdough bread again. We love this bread warm from the oven with melted butter on it...absolute heaven! Thanks for sharing this recipe.
I have never liked sour sourdough bread, but I am diabetic and just cannot give up my bread. So I decided to try a sourdough recipe because it has a lower GI index than even whole grain bread. Well I have hit the jackpot. This is THE best tasting bread I have ever eaten bar none. It has a sweeter taste than I expected and it is perfect for my tastes. I have made the starter and about 6 different loaves now and am still loving every bite of it. It is time consuming for the long rising time but I have to say it is more than worth it. I wake up in the morning after having it raise all night and can have fresh homemade bread by lunchtime. Even if you are a novice at bread making, you gotta try this recipe. You will never go back to anything else. Thanks so much for posting!!!!
This is great! I killed my other starter and was very happy to find this one. It makes the best bread when you feed it a few times before you make bread with it. Very good!!