Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Sourdough bread without using a starter. The yogurt does it. It makes a very tasty loaf of bread. One of our favorites.
- 1⁄2 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 3 1⁄4 cups bread flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 3 teaspoons dry yeast or 2 3⁄4 teaspoons bread machine yeast
- Do not use delay bake opition with this recipe.
- Bake on french bread cycle.
- Have water between 70 and 80 degrees.
- Add all ingredients in order listed.
- Make an hole in flour for yeast, don't let yeast touch water.
Although I too didn't get the sourdough taste out of this bread, it's still worth making. Mine came out in a perfect texture - best bread I've made yet. The taste was great too-my younger son and husband each had thirds! I also love that this is a low fat bread (2 points on Weight Watchers if you divide into 20 servings). I also used Smart Balance Omega blend for the butter. I might try to find a more sour yogurt for the next time. Thanks for posting another great recipe!
I made this with plain yogurt and it worked really well.
Still might miss the true Sourdough Bread this is well worth making. I followed exactly using active dry yeast, french bread setting 1.5 lb loaf. Nice and high, full of air holes, and a great crust!