Prep 1 hr
Cook 15 mins
Crispy waffles on the outside and tender on the inside. These are great anytime. Serve them topped with fresh fruit and whipped cream for dessert or top with warm maple syrup for a true breakfast treat.
- 1 cup sourdough starter
- 1 cup warm water
- 1⁄2 cup powdered milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4-1⁄3 cup butter, melted
- 4 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Proof starter as usual the night before, the next morning, measure out 1 cup starter and refrigerate the rest.
- Separate the eggs whites from the yolk and beat the yolks until creamy; reserve the whites and allow to reach room temperature.
- To the starter add the water, powdered milk, salt, sugar and melted butter; stir to blend; stir in flour.
- Add the beaten egg yolks, cover batter and allow to stand until double (approximately 1 hour).
- Just before baking, beat egg whites until stiff but moist and gently fold into batter along with vanilla.
- Bake on preheated waffle iron as per manufacturer’s recommendations.
- Please note: the preparation time does not include the time need to proof the starter.
If I'd prefer not to use milk powder... what should I do? :))
Great waffles. It is time consuming to proof starter and one hour rise time but with excellent results. Served with syrup.
I made this recipe for supper this evening, and both my husband and I thought it was excellent. I will definitely make this again.