Top Review by Kitchen Witch Steph
I used up extra starter and the older blackened bananas! No waste, woo hoo! Wonderful banana bread, a most enjoyable breakfast for the family. I used part whole wheat flour and butter in the recipe. The only other change I might make next time would be to decrease the sugar by 1/4 cup or so. Thanks for sharing!
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup mashed banana
- 1 cup sourdough starter
- 2 cups unbleached flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 teaspoon vanilla or 1 teaspoon grated orange rind
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream together the shortening and sugar, add egg and mix until blended.
- Stir in bananas and sourdough starter.
- Add orange peel or vanilla.
- Stir flour and measure again with salt, baking powder and soda.
- Add flour mixture and walnuts to the first mixture, stirring until just blended.
- Pour into greased 9 x 5-inch loaf pan.
- Bake in 350 degree oven for 1 hour or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool to cold before slicing.