1/2 Photos of Sourdough Bagels
15 hrs 35 mins
I adapted this recipe from "Home-Baked Bagels" to use with my sourdough starter.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Mix sourdough starter, warm water, and flour in a bowl. Cover and let sit overnight; the mixture should look bubbly and "spongy" in the morning.
- 2Add sugar, salt and additional flour. Mix well.
- 3Knead on a floured surface for 10 minutes, adding additional flour as needed. The dough should be firm. Place dough in a greased bowl, cover, and let rise until double (sour dough takes longer to rise than traditional yeast breads).
- 4After punching down, divide dough into 12 balls. Make a hole in the middle of each ball with your thumb, and shape into a bagel shape, with a 2" hole in the middle.
- 5Meanwhile, bring 2 quarts of water to boil on your stove-top. Drop 2 or 3 bagels at a time into the water; boil for 30 seconds, flip bagels over, and boil for an additional 30 seconds. Drain with slotted spoon and place on baking sheet.
- 6Brush tops with egg white and add additional toppings if desired (poppy seeds, dried onions, etc.).
- 7Bake at 350 for 35 minutes, turning once for even browning. Bagels are done when they are golden and shiny.
Browse Our Top Sourdough Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Sourdough Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sourdough Bagels
Serving Size: 1 (73 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 147.8
- Calories from Fat 3
- Total Fat 0.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 467.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 3.6 g
- Protein 4.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: