Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is one of the Zaar recipes that I adopted. I hope to prepare this one soon and will post any modifications that I make to the recipe.
- 1 cup active starter
- 1⁄4 cup evaporated skim milk
- 1 cup unbleached flour
- 1 cup applesauce (Homemade IfPos.)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon clove
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1 large egg, Well Beaten
- Mix together the starter, milk, flour, and applesauce, and let stand in a covered bowl in a warm place.
- Cream together the sugars and butter.
- Add the beaten egg and mix well.
- Add spices.
- You may also add a half cup of raisins or chopped nuts, or a mixture of the two.
- Beat by hand until well mixed and no lumps reamian.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for half to three quarters of an hour.
- Test for doneness with a knife when half an hour is up.
- Allow to cool until cold before cutting and serving.
I liked this recipe. It wasn't spectacular, but it is a good fruit quickbread type recipe and an interesting way to use sourdough starter. Texture is coarse rather than fine-grained. Extremely moist with a nice blending of the flavors, nothing overwhelms. I made this with a cup of mashed pears instead of applesauce. I had some pears that had reached the soft, squishy stage so rather than throwing them out I peeled them and they mashed up to the same consistency as applesauce. Baking time for me was 75 minutes in an 8 by 8 inch pan. Had to cover the edges with foil to keep from overcooking them as the center was still liquid. Recipe did not state, but I did a 30 minute rest period for the sourdough mixture.
I made this yesterday and it got a "great" from my husband. Several things though. I baked it in an 8" square pan as none was suggested. The top browned quickly so I had to cover it. It took almost an hour to bake it fully so you need to watch it. It is a dense cake so it you can serve it smaller than the serving size it suggests. I think you can easily get 6-9 servings with the cake as I baked it because it is very rich. I served it with a scoop of light whipped topping and it was a wonderful dessert. Thanks for sharing this recipe.