Recipe by Domestic Goddess
Sour Wiener Gravy is gravy made with "store bought" gingersnaps, sliced all beef wieners, chopped onion, vinegar, water, salt and pepper, and once thickened, served over mashed potatoes. The brands of store bought gingersnaps I have used to make this dish are... Rippin Good, Stauffer's, or Lil' Dutch Maid. (Lil' Dutch Maid are the least expensive, and I purchased them at the Dollar Tree.)
- 5 3⁄4 cups cold water
- 1 onion, finely chopped (use small to medium size onion)
- salt and pepper, season according to taste
- 33 gingersnap cookies (See *Note)
- 1 1⁄2 cups 5% white distilled vinegar
- 2 lbs thinly sliced all beef wieners
- hot-cooked mashed potatoes
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large deep 12-inch skillet, combine the water, onion, salt and pepper, plus the gingersnaps. (You can also prepare this dish in a chicken fryer, with a lid, which is what I do).
- Stir gently until the gingersnaps have dissolved.
- Add the vinegar and sliced wieners.
- Heat over medium-low heat, until it almost boils and is somewhat thick.
- (When preparing this in a chicken fryer, I cook this over high heat; stirring frequently, until it comes to a boil and the gravy has thickened up, (in about 10 minutes) and after that, I lower the heat to a simmer, and cook/simmer the dish just a bit longer, for about 10-15 minutes longer).
- Serve over the hot-cooked mashed potatoes.
- *Note: When adding the gingersnap cookies, be sure to only use the store brands that I had suggested. Do not use home-baked cookies for this recipe.