1/3 Photos of Sour Wiener Gravy
Domestic Goddess's Note:
Sour Wiener Gravy is a gingersnap gravy made with sliced all beef wieners, chopped onion, vinegar, water, salt & pepper, and once thickened, serve over mashed potatoes. The brands of store bought gingersnaps I have used to make this dish is...Rippin Good (or) Stauffer's. The Rippin Good Ginger Snaps can be found at Festival Foods, it comes in a 16-oz. box, and the Stauffer's Ginger Snaps can be found at Walgreens Drug Store, it comes in a 14 oz. bag.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a large deep 12-inch skillet, combine the water, onion, salt and pepper, plus the gingersnaps. (You can also prepare this dish in a chicken fryer, with a lid, which is what I do).
- 2Stir gently until the gingersnaps have dissolved.
- 3Add the vinegar and sliced wieners.
- 4Heat over medium-low heat, until it almost boils and is somewhat thick.
- 5(When preparing this in a chicken fryer, I cook this over high heat; stirring frequently, until it comes to a boil and the gravy has thickened up, (in about 10 minutes) and after that, I lower the heat to a simmer, and cook/simmer the dish just a bit longer, for about 10-15 minutes longer).
- 6Serve over the hot-cooked mashed potatoes.
- 7*Note: When adding the gingersnap cookies, be sure to only use the store brands that I had suggested. Do not use home-baked cookies for this recipe.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sour Wiener Gravy
Serving Size: 1 (226 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 336.3
- Calories from Fat 217
- Total Fat 24.2 g
- Saturated Fat 9.3 g
- Cholesterol 40.1 mg
- Sodium 971.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 6.6 g
- Protein 9.6 g