Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Sour Wiener Gravy is a gingersnap gravy made with sliced all beef wieners, chopped onion, vinegar, water, salt & pepper, and once thickened, serve over mashed potatoes. The brands of store bought gingersnaps I have used to make this dish is...Rippin Good (or) Stauffer's. The Rippin Good Ginger Snaps can be found at Festival Foods, it comes in a 16-oz. box, and the Stauffer's Ginger Snaps can be found at Walgreens Drug Store, it comes in a 14 oz. bag.
- In a large deep 12-inch skillet, combine the water, onion, salt and pepper, plus the gingersnaps. (You can also prepare this dish in a chicken fryer, with a lid, which is what I do).
- Stir gently until the gingersnaps have dissolved.
- Add the vinegar and sliced wieners.
- Heat over medium-low heat, until it almost boils and is somewhat thick.
- (When preparing this in a chicken fryer, I cook this over high heat; stirring frequently, until it comes to a boil and the gravy has thickened up, (in about 10 minutes) and after that, I lower the heat to a simmer, and cook/simmer the dish just a bit longer, for about 10-15 minutes longer).
- Serve over the hot-cooked mashed potatoes.
- *Note: When adding the gingersnap cookies, be sure to only use the store brands that I had suggested. Do not use home-baked cookies for this recipe.