- 6 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1 scotch bonnet pepper, stemmed, seeded, and minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons whole cumin seeds, freshly toasted
- 1 cup pure olive oil
- 1⁄3 cup sour orange juice (you can substitute 1/3 cup combined orange and lime juices)
- 2 teaspoons spanish sherry wine vinegar
- freshly toasted and ground black pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- In a mortar mash the raw garlic, Scotch bonnet, salt, and cumin until fairly smooth. Scrape this into a bowl and set aside.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, warm the oil until just hot and pour it over the garlic-chili mix, stirring the ingredients. Remove the pan from the heat and let it stand for 10 minutes.
- Whisk in the sour orange juice and the vinegar. Season with pepper. Refrigerated, this will keep up to 3 months.