Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is a very refreshing sorbet, perfect as the light ending for a summertime meal along with crisp sugar cookies. For a cute presentation, serve this in the scooped out shells of lemon halves, trimmed at the bottom to sit upright, and topped with a few lemon rind curls. Prep time does not include freezing time.
- 1 3⁄4 cups superfine sugar (whirl granulated sugar in a blender or processor to make superfine sugar)
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 1⁄3 cups fresh lemon juice, strained
- 1 1⁄3 cups non carbonated mineral water
- 1 egg white
- Cook sugar and water in heavy medium saucepan over low heat until sugar dissolves completely, swirling pan occasionally.
- Increase heat and bring to boil.
- Cool completely; chill until cold.
- Blend lemon juice and mineral water into syrup.
- Transfer mixture to ice cream maker and process according to manufacturer's instructions just until mixture starts to freeze and thicken.
- Transfer 3 tablespoons to small bowl.
- Add egg whites and whisk until thick and foamy, about 2 minutes.
- Return mixture to ice cream maker and continue processing to desired consistency.
- Turn into a bowl and freeze 3 hours.
- Serve in chilled glasses.