Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is from Martha Stewart, posted in responce to a request.
- 1⁄2 lb unsalted butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 3 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 2 grated lemons, zest of
- 1⁄3 cup cognac
- 1⁄3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350F degrees.
- Butter and flour a 9" round cake pan.
- Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add to the butter mixture, alternating with the milk.
- Stir in the lemon zest.
- Pour the batter into the pan.
- Bake for 1 hour, or until a cake tester comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and allow to sit in the pan for a few minutes.
- Turn the cake out onto a rack.
- Stir the glaze ingredients together until the sugar dissolves and brush them onto the cake.
- Allow to cool.