Recipe by KitchenManiac
A very simple coffee cake or cake for sweets. Extremely refreshing.
Top Review by KissKiss
This cake is outstanding - so moist and full of flavor. The instructions are dead-on (40 minutes was perfect). Also, be sure to use freshly squeezed lemons for the juice - makes all the difference. This recipe is perfect for couples (or singles) who like cakes but never make them because they can't eat them fast enough. Just the right size!
- 125 g butter
- 3⁄4 cup caster sugar (superfine)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons grated fresh lemon rind
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1⁄2 cups self-raising flour
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Place butter, sugar and lemon rind in the bowl of an electric mixer, and beat until light and creamy, Add eggs to mixer and beat well.
- Fold flour, sour cream and lemon juice through mixture.
- Immediately place mixture in a greased and lined 20 cm (8 inch) square cake tin and bake in a preheated 350F (180C) oven for 40 minutes or until cake is cooked when tested with a skewer.
- Cut cake into wedges and serve warm with cream.