Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
A very simple coffee cake or cake for sweets. Extremely refreshing.
- 125 g butter
- 3⁄4 cup caster sugar (superfine)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons grated fresh lemon rind
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1⁄2 cups self-raising flour
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup lemon juice
- Place butter, sugar and lemon rind in the bowl of an electric mixer, and beat until light and creamy, Add eggs to mixer and beat well.
- Fold flour, sour cream and lemon juice through mixture.
- Immediately place mixture in a greased and lined 20 cm (8 inch) square cake tin and bake in a preheated 350F (180C) oven for 40 minutes or until cake is cooked when tested with a skewer.
- Cut cake into wedges and serve warm with cream.
This cake is outstanding - so moist and full of flavor. The instructions are dead-on (40 minutes was perfect). Also, be sure to use freshly squeezed lemons for the juice - makes all the difference. This recipe is perfect for couples (or singles) who like cakes but never make them because they can't eat them fast enough. Just the right size!
Texture is more like a brownie, dense and moist. You do want to use fresh lemon rind and freshly squeezed lemons. Has a nice tart lemon flavor that really comes through. Can whip this up in no time. A keeper, thanks for posting!
Wasn't a fan of this. The flavor was great, very lemony and not very sweet, but it was too dense. Felt like we had eaten rocks afterwards. I tried to chill it a bit, and that made it even worse. Good thing this recipe doesn't make much, we tossed the rest.