Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
Tart and sweet - two of my favourtie taste bud tingles.
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup icing sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter, chilled,cut into pieces
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 3⁄4 cups sugar
- 1 cup strained fresh lemon juice
- 4 1⁄2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons lemons, zest of
- icing sugar
- For crust: Position rack in centre of oven and preheat to 350 degrees F (175C).
- Line 9 inch square baking pan with foil, extending 1 inch above 2 sides of pan to use as handles later.
- Butter 2 uncovered sides of pan.
- Combine flour, icing sugar and salt in processor.
- Add butter and cut in, until grainy.
- Add vanilla and process until dough just starts to come together.
- Press dough evenly into prepared pan.
- Bake until golden-brown, about 25-30 minutes.
- Meanwhile prepare topping: Whisk eggs and sugar in medium bowl to blend.
- Whisk in lemon juice and all purpose flour.
- Strain into another bowl.
- Mix in zest.
- Reduce oven to 320 degrees F (165C).
- Pour filling over hot crust.
- Bake until sides are set and filling no longer moves when pan is shaken, about 20 minutes.
- Cover and chill atleast 4 hours of overnight.
- Lift pastry out of pan using foil as an aid.
- Cut into 16 squares.
- Cut each square diagonally, forming triangle.
- Sift powdered sugar over.
Dornette #1 adores anything with lemon in it, and I adore my Microplane zester. I just had a slight problem with this recipe, the topping is a bit... sloopy. It was a little too liquidy, and never really set, not even overnight in the fridge. The taste was very good, however. I'm going to try this recipe again, but cut back on the lemon juice and up the flour a bit. BTW, the crust is outstanding!