Prep 3 hrs
Cook 30 mins
From Taste of Home and attributed to Christine Frazier of Auburndale, Florida. These yummy rolls are just wonderful. Try them and see! Prep time is time spent waiting for dough to rise. Sit back and enjoy your coffee!
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 ounce active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 egg
- In a large bowl combine 1 1/2 C flour, sugar, yeast and salt.
- In a small saucepan, heat sour cream, water and 2 T butter to 120-130 degrees.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients.
- Beat on medium for 2 minutes.
- Add one egg and 1/2 C flour; beat 2 minutes longer.
- Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough--this may mean using 21/2 C flour as noted above or up to 3 cups.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic--about 6-8 minutes.
- Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place or in a warming oven on "bread proof" for one hour.
- Punch down dough.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into 12 pieces.
- Shape each into a ball.
- Place on a greased 9 x 13" baking pan.
- Cover and let rise again, until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake a 375 F for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Melt remaining butter. Brush over rolls. Remove rolls from pan to a wire rack.
These are wonderful!!! I made these last night for dinner to go along with a spaghetti pie and green beans and we all loved them. Great flavor and nice and moist bread on the inside and a nice crisp top. I also had some of the the leftovers for breakfast this morning, just heated them in some foil in the oven for about 8 minutes. Thanks for the recipe and congrats on your win in the football pool.
Just a good, wholesome dinner roll with a soft texture and a hint of pleasant acidity from the sour cream. Made for Zaar World Tour 5.
I made these for Easter dinner. I forgot about melting and brushing the butter on the tops, but they were tender and tasty. Even good a few days later.