Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
Crispy on the outside, airy and moist on the inside and made with healthier alternatives such as 1% milk, low-fat sour cream and Egg Beaters...Once you've tried it, you'll want to make this waffle your standard recipe from whence all variations come! Eat it plain, eat it with real maple syrup, top with fruit or fat free Cool Whip! You're only limited by your imagination!
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat sour cream (Cabot Light)
- 3⁄4 cup egg substitute (Egg Beaters)
- real maple syrup (optional)
- fresh fruit (optional)
- whipped cream (fat-free Cool Whip) (optional)
- Heat a waffle iron according to manufacturer's directions.
- While the waffle iron is heating, in a large bowl whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt; make a well in the center of the mixture.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the vegetable oil, milk, sour cream and egg substitute together; pour into the well you made in the dry mixture.
- Whisk just until smooth; do NOT over mix; then lightly oil the grids or waffles may stick slightly.
- Check the manufacturer's directions for how much batter to use per waffle; otherwise, spoon about ½ cup of the batter onto the center of the lower grid of the hot waffle iron and close the iron.
- Cook until the waffle is golden brown, 3-4 minutes or per the manufacturer's instructions; My waffle iron (Fiesta 6 inch round) has a light that turns OFF when the waffle is done.
- Serve the waffles hot with real maple syrup or your favorite fruit, whipped cream or fruit preserves.
- NOTE: The cooktime is the time it takes to cook the entire batch.
Very nice and crispy!
Really LOVE these waffles, light and fluffy on the inside just crispy enough on the outside. Perfect waffles. We topped with fresh rasberries and whipped topping and served w/hot coffee and bacon - YUM!! This is our new go to waffle recipe for sure. Thanks for a great recipe.
Hey - these were good! light and fluffy! thanks for posting!