Sour cream cake with toffee and fudge -- what is not to like? All the ingredients go so well together! Chef Emeril shared this recipe with Good Morning America. In his new book "From Emeril's Kitchens: Favorite Recipes from Emeril's Restaurants" chef Emeril has combined his most frequently requested major dishes from his menus. Inactive prep time 30 minutes.;) Am just keeping this here so I won't misplace it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb unsalted butter
- 3 1/2 teaspoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 cups hot brewed coffee (we used Cuban coffee)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 1/2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 1/2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 4 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cups unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 2 lbs semisweet chocolate, chopped into pieces
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2Preheat the oven to 350°F Grease three 10-inch cake pans with the 2 teaspoons of the butter. Line each with parchment paper and butter with 1/2 teaspoon butter; set aside.
- 3Place the cocoa in a bowl and slowly add the hot coffee, whisking until smooth & set aside to cool.
- 4In a large bowl, whisk together the sour cream and vanilla.
- 5Whisk in the cooled coffee mixture.
- 6Sift the flour, baking soda, and baking powder together onto a sheet of wax paper or into a bowl.
- 7In a large bowl, with an electric mixer, cream the remaining pound butter and the sugar.
- 8Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- 9On low speed, add the flour mixture alternately with the coffee-sour cream mixture; beat until glossy.
- 10Divide the batter among the 3 prepared pans.
- 11Bake until a cake tester comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes.
- 12Let cool completely in the pans on a wire rack.
- 13CHOCOLATE ICING:.
- 14Combine the cream, butter, cocoa, and corn syrup in a large saucepan, and bring to a simmer over medium heat; remove from the heat.
- 15Put the chopped chocolate in a large bowl.
- 16Add the hot cream mixture and let sit for 2 minutes, then whisk until the chocolate is melted and smooth.
- 17Add the vanilla and almond extracts and whisk to blend.
- 18Cover and refrigerate until needed.
- 19*(The icing will keep refrigerated for up to 3 days.).
- 20BUTTER TOFFEE:.
- 21Line a baking sheet with parchment or wax paper.
- 22Combine the butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar in a medium heavy saucepan and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until the sugar dissolves.
- 23Continue to cook until the mixture reaches 300° F, or the hard-crack stage (a drop of boiling syrup immersed in cold water crackles); be very careful not to allow the mixture to boil.
- 24Remove from the heat, add the vanilla, and stir.
- 25Pour onto the prepared sheet and let cool completely.
- 26Crack the toffee into large shards with a rolling pin.
- 27Place the pieces in a large deep pot and break into smaller pieces with the end of the rolling pin.
- 28**(Store in an airtight container until ready to use).
- 30Remove the cakes from the pans and peel off the parchment paper.
- 31Using a long serrated knife, trim off the rounded top from each to make a flat surface.
- 32Place the first cake layer on a cake plate or stand.
- 33Spread about 1 1/2 cups of the chocolate icing across the top, out to the edge of the cake, and sprinkle with about 3/4 cup crushed butter toffee.
- 34Repeat with the second layer and another 1 1/2 cups icing and 3/4 cup crushed toffee.
- 35Place the third layer upside-down on top.
- 36Frost the top and sides of the cake with the remaining icing, and press the remaining crushed toffee onto the sides and top of the cake.
- 37Serve & enjoy!
Browse Our Top Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sour Cream Toffee Fudge Cake
Serving Size: 1 (716 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2796.6
- Calories from Fat 2011
- Total Fat 223.4 g
- Saturated Fat 138.7 g
- Cholesterol 580.8 mg
- Sodium 452.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 226.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 28.8 g
- Sugars 133.2 g
- Protein 32.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
light brown sugar