Prep 20 mins
Cook 12 mins
This recipe is from the booklet supplied with the Mirro brand Cookie & Pastry Press. There is no refrigeration required. I searched Zaar for the spritz cookie recipes I use from this book, to share with a fellow chef, but they weren't posted yet. *For tips on obtaining the best results possible with your cookie press, check out my photo demo in the Kitchen Gadgets & Appliances forum. http://www.recipezaar.com/bb/viewtopic.zsp?t=330463
- 1 cup butter (refrigerator temp for electric mixer, slightly softened for hand mixing, margarine or shortening can)
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄3 cup sour cream
- 2 3⁄4 cups sifted flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Cream butter and sugar well. *(See note below.).
- Beat in egg yolk, sour cream and vanilla.
- Sift together dry ingredients and gradually blend into the creamed mixture.
- Fill cookie press and form cookies on ungreased cookie sheet, decorate with sprinkles, if desired.
- Bake at 375°F for 10-12 minutes. Checking for a slightly set or very slightly browned cookie at 10 minutes. If needed, bake another 1-2 minutes.
- Remove cookies from baking sheet while warm & transfer to wire rack to cool.
- Decorate if desired or enjoy them plain.
- Store in an air-tight container and layered between foil or waxed paper, if needed. These cookies freeze well.
I like these with 1/2 tsp of fresh nutmeg. I double the recipe because they go too fast otherwise.
I have made this recipe every year for over a decade. It is always one of my most popular cookies. Only issue I have had is problems with the dough sticking to the press. Seems to help if the dough is kept cold.