Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
A very good basic moist spice cake with a delicious light foamy icing...a guaranteed pleaser.
- 1⁄2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 1⁄4 cups cake flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 egg whites
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- Set oven to 375 degrees.
- Grease and flour 2 (8-inch) layer cake pans.
- In a bowl, cream butter and sugar until fluffy.
- Add in eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Sift dry ingredients; add alternately with sour cream into creamed mixture.
- Turn batter into prepared baking pans.
- Bake 30-35 minutes, or until cake tests done.
- FOAMY ICING: Combine sugar, egg white and water in top of double boiler; stir well.
- Place over boiling water.
- With an electric hand mixer, beat constantly until mixture holds to a point.
- Remove from heat.
- Add in vanilla, and beat 1 minute longer.
- Spread over cooled cake.
- Note: if desired, this cake can be baked in a 13" x 9" baking pan.