Prep 45 mins
Cook 45 mins
From Water Grill Restaurant in Los Angeles. Absolutely divine!
- 10 -12 stalks fresh lemongrass (about 1 lb. total)
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup lemon juice
- 2 cups sour cream
- Trim and throw away root ends, rough tops, and rough outer layers from lemon grass.
- Rinse tender stalks and cut into chunks.
- Finely chop in a food processor or with a knife.
- In a 4- to 5-quart pan, combine lemon grass, sugar, and 1 cup water.
- Bring to a boil over high heat,stirring occasionally.
- Cover and boil for 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Pour syrup through a fine strainer into a 1-cup glass measure; throw away lemon grass.
- If there's less than 1 cup syrup, add water.
- If there's more, rinse pan, return syrup to it, and boil until reduced to 1 cup.
- Nest glass measure in ice water and stir syrup often until cold, 5 to 10 minutes; or cover and chill until cold, about 1 hour.
- Pour syrup into a bowl.
- Add lemon juice and sour cream; whisk to blend well.
- Pour mixture into a 1-quart or larger ice cream maker.
- Freeze until dasher is hard to turn and mixture is softly frozen, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Serve, or cover airtight and store in the freezer.
- Scoop portions into bowls.